About the Department
The department was started in the year 1997 as a specialized department and grew in stature to be a pioneer in this part of the country. The department boasts a number of credits. Its UG program is approved by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE). The Post Graduate program, called ‘Master of Engineering in Aeronautical Engineering’ was added in the year 2003. The Doctoral (Ph.D.) Program has commenced from April 2008 in collaboration with the Anna University. Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), the premier company in India, specializing in the manufacture of civilian and combat aircraft, has considered the department competent to train their management trainees and had been sending trainees continuously for over four years. So far, 460 trainees were trained by the department. The department is presently conducting a short term program, namely, ‘Master Diploma in Aircraft Design’ (6 months – 320 hours of training) with a student strength of 62. The department has been securing gold medals in UG programs for the past nine years. Majority of our students are placed at ISRO, DRDO, NAL, HAL, ADA, IAF and Other private industries like Quest Global, Satyam Mahindra, and InfoTech etc.
|UG||B.E - AERONAUTICAL ENGINEERING|
|PG||M.E - AERONAUTICAL ENGINEERING|
|RESEARCH||PH.D - AERONAUTICAL ENGINEERING|
To enhance the status of the department as a professionally renowned academic and research centre and cater to the needs of the student community in every manner possible.
- An institution dedicated to excellence and leadership in the field of aeronautical and aerospace education to prepare the students of quality to face the ever changing requirement and maintenance in association with aeronautical and aerospace industry.
- Provide our students with excellent education and the skills they need to achieve professional success in their Aeronautical / Aerospace careers in the private sector and also in the aeronautical research, development and operational activities of the defense services.
- To inculcate in our students the professional and civic values required for leading the country in its quest for development.
- To provide a regular system of continuous evaluation, to assess individual performance in class tests and qualifying examinations so as to improve the capabilities and quality of the students.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
The graduates of our programme will:
- To prepare students for successful careers in industry that meet the needs of Indian and multinational companies.
- To develop the ability among students to synthesize data and technical concepts for application to product design.
- To provide opportunity for students to work as part of teams on multidisciplinary projects.
- To provide students with a sound foundation in the mathematical, scientific and engineering fundamentals necessary to formulate, solve and analyze engineering problems and to prepare them for graduate students.
Programme Outcomes (POs)
Aeronautical Engineering programme must demonstrate that their students attain the following outcomes:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability.
- An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams.
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems.
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- An ability to communicate effectively.
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context.
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning.
- A knowledge of contemporary issues.
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.